Education News

‘Banks refusing to accept applications for education loan’

A total of 61 students pursuing engineering and MBA courses in a private college in Coimbatore sought the assistance of district administration in getting educational loans from banks concerned as there has been an ‘inordinate delay’.

In petitions to Collector G. Govindaraj, the students accused that despite three months had gone into the academic year, the banks were refusing to accept their applications.

Service- area

Lead District Manager R. Rajagopal told The Hindu that the applications received from the students on the day would be distributed to bank branches concerned under the service-area approach and asked them to explore the possibilities of giving loans.

“If at all the loan cannot be given, the bank managers will be asked to give an explanation for rejection,” he said.

Banking sources added that loans were not given in many of the cases which were represented to the Collector on the day were mainly because the students got admission in management quota.

“From this fiscal onwards, the directions are that the individual banks have the discretion to evolve its own policy for giving loans when it comes to students gaining admission in management quotas,” sources said.

Liquor shop

In another memorandum to Collector, the residents of Anusham Nagar in Udumalpet expressed their unhappiness over the move to set up a liquor sales outlet in the area. They also protested the widespread encroachment along the approach road that lead to their colony.