General NewsNews

NID sacks woman instructor, activates contention

The National Institute of Design, Gandhinagar campus has terminated the service contract of a teacher for what she claimed complaining against sexual harassment on the campus of the prestigious institute.

Deepa Chalke, 38, a single mother, alleged that she was dismissed only because she had lodged a complaint against, Shatrughan Tiwari, the warden of the boys’ hostel for his alleged “sexual misconduct,” but the NID authorities said she was removed from service “only on the ground of poor performance.”

In a letter to the secretary and head of NID’s general administration, Gandhinagar campus, Siddharth Swaminarayan on November 7, Deepa wrote: “Please register my official complaint against Tiwari whose behavior I find derogatory to my personal and professional wellbeing. For any request regarding maintenance and general housekeeping he verbally tells me that he has a ‘soft corner’ for me, therefore, he is extending service to me on a personal basis. I also find his body language lewd. Please note that in the event of NID failing to take corrective measures, I reserve the constitutional right to protect my dignity.”

NID authorities were refusing to attach much importance to her complaint of sexual harassment in November. Also, they refused to accept it as a reason for her sacking.

Many of her colleagues and students, however, disagreed with the NID contention. They pointed out that Ms. Chalke was appointed as a faculty member last August, on a two-year contract. Her “performance” was to be reviewed only after one year but her contract was terminated after six months itself. Students claimed that her performance was much better than that of her colleagues.

The head of the general administration of the Gandhinagar campus, Siddhartha Swaminarayan denied that Chalke had ever launched a formal complaint of sexual harassment. But he admitted that an inquiry committee was formed and the matter was resolved.

Akhil Succena, the centre head of NID’s Gandhinagar campus, said Tiwari has categorically denied having said anything “lewd”, but it could be his “poor vocabulary” that led to the issue.

Ms. Chalke’s complaint had reached NID Director, Ahmedabad, Pradyumna Vyas, who, after investigating her complaints against the Gandhinagar campus heads, “did not find it necessary to alter the decision to rescind her contract.”